AYEDI is recruiting for our Advisory Board!
Download PDF version here.
AYEDI is recruiting members for our Advisory Board! The Advisory Board serves as a critical community champion of AYEDI. It is a volunteer group that gives advice and support to our Executive Team. Individuals on the Advisory Board will have unique skills and knowledge that will complement the knowledge of the Executive Team, ultimately aiding us in effectively guiding and governing AYEDI. Advisory Board members contribute to many different ways depending on their unique professional expertise; their diverse knowledge of Afghan youth perspectives; their connections to local or national resources; their demonstrated interest in community building in the Afghan-Canadian community; or other forms of contributions. The Advisory Board has no governing function within AYEDI.
The Advisory Board is suitable for people who are interested in contributing to AYEDI with their knowledge, skills, and/or ideas but have limited time!
- There is no minimum or maximum age to be an Advisory Board member and no specific type of experience(s) you need to have. Afghans from anywhere in Ontario can apply.
- In particular, we encourage Afghans as young as 14 years old and/or who live in Scarborough to apply as we want the Advisory Board to reflect the communities we intend to serve.
- If you are unsure if you should apply, please feel free to contact us and we’d be happy to talk about it!
RESPONSIBILITIES OF ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERS
- Make recommendations and/or provide key information, materials, and/or advice to the Executive Team to support our Mission
- Attend AYEDI’s major events, namely our annual conference and any occasional special gatherings (e.g., team retreats or trainings)
- Open invitation to attend monthly/bi-monthly Executive Team meetings in non-voting capacity. *May attend meetings remotely (via phone/Skype) or in-person
- May act as Ambassadors for AYEDI or represent AYEDI at public events
- Allow AYEDI to publicize their name and participation on the Advisory Board
- Must be willing to serve on the Advisory Board for a minimum 1-year term starting August 15, 2019
- Skills/knowledge/expertise in any of the following areas: Community building, politics, fundraising, grant writing, event planning, lived experience (as a youth and/or Scarborough resident), or other
- Any kind of previous involvement in a club (e.g., student club in high school or university), team (e.g., sports team), community initiative (e.g., political involvement, non-profit involvement), or volunteering (e.g., at a hospital)
- Attention to detail and strong ability for time management/meeting deadlines
- Understanding and commitment to AYEDI’s Mission, Vision, and Values
- Mindset of “I want to use my experiences to help others be the best versions of themselves that they can be!”
- Contribute in a meaningful way to AYEDI
- Be recognized for your distinguished expertise and service
- Reasonable and flexible time commitment
- Getting to help young Afghan-Canadians to be more civically engaged and reach their full potential
- AYEDI is happy to provide references
- Please send the following documents in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Advisory Board Application” by Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 11:59PM:
- A short, 1-paragraph statement that clearly indicates which area you believe you can contribute in and why (community building, politics, fundraising, event planning, lived experience, or other)
- Your availability for a Skype interview during the week of July 15th and July 22nd.
Volunteers: We are looking for Afghan youth (aged 13-29 years old) who are interested in helping out with our conference and occasional events/workshops. Time commitment is approximately 10 hours per month. AYEDI will be happy to provide you with references. Please email email@example.com if you are interested or for more information.