Reflections on 2019
We would like to wish everyone a very happy and prosperous New Year 2020. Here are some of AYEDI’s highlights for 2019:
- We had our first ever Afghan Youth Community Impact Conference in March 2019 with over 55+ registered attendees! See photos here
- Ran a successful Get-Out-The-Vote (GOTV) campaign to encourage Afghan youth to vote in the 2019 federal election. See photos here
- Launched the first ever Afghan Vote Coalition, a group of Afghan-led organizations who have united to send a message to all Afghan-Canadians to be informed and engaged in our democratic system by voting
- Our Executive Director Khalidha Nasiri penned an opinion piece in the Scarborough Mirror titled, “Afghan Youth in Toronto are Ready to Make Their Voices Heard”: https://www.toronto.com/opinion-story/9206989-afghan-youth-in-toronto-are-ready-to-make-their-voices-heard/
- Supported an exhibition called Salaam from Niagara Falls which explored first- and second-generation Afghan and Iranian place-making in the context of ongoing settler colonialism on Turtle Island
In 2020, we look forward to:
- Launching our Afghan Youth Mentorship Program (stay tuned for details!)
- Hosting our second ever Conference
- Engaging with politicians and community stakeholders on issues relevant to Afghan youth
- And more
We look forward to your continued support in 2020. Our team is eager to continue the much-needed work for our Afghan-Canadian youth. You can always send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org with your thoughts and suggestions.
From the AYEDI team, happy new year and best wishes to you and your family on the year ahead!
The AYEDI Team: Khalidha, Veeda, Madina, Ferozan, Zohal, Marjila, Wares, Robina, and Frishta